To provide students opportunities for individualized feedback in a supportive environment in order to encourage inquiry, revision, and overall growth as writers.
How the Writing Center Works
Before Your Appointment
- You can sign up for an appointment time during Seminar 2. All appointments must be booked in advance through our online sign-up tool on this website's homepage. We cannot accommodate walk-in appointments at this time.
- Please have the following items ready to bring to your appointment: have your assignment handout / rubric, and have your paper (either a printed or electronic copy). If you come to your appointment without these items, we may not be able to accommodate you at that time.
- Please make sure to arrive at your appointment on time! We must adhere to time slots in order to serve the most students; for example, if you come to your appointment with only five minutes left, your appointment will only be five minutes. The student tutor's time is valuable and we cannot extend appointment times.
- Come ready to improve your writing!
During Your Appointment
- A student tutor will greet you and may ask you some basic questions about your class, the assignment, and your progress so far.
- The student tutor will make a rough agenda of your goals for the session. Feel free to communicate what's most important to you!
- Remember, your tutor's job is not to "fix" your paper; student tutors are instructed to be "hands-off." During the session, your tutor will ask YOU questions to further develop your writing and may recommend resources as needed.
- Throughout the session, your tutor will fill out a Tutoring Log which serves as a record of your discussion. This resource will be provided to you at the end of the session so that you can use it as a revision tool.
- The student tutor's job is to keep the focus of the session on improving your work. Student tutors are specifically instructed NOT to discuss grades, the teacher, or the class.
- Please be open to constructive feedback--your student tutor is here to help you!
After Your Appointment
- You will fill out an Exit Survey to give us feedback. Please be honest as the goal of this is to make tutoring sessions for future students even better.
- Feel free to schedule a follow-up session or additional sessions as needed!